Great news, Useful Journaling 1.1 will be carried by The Word Distribution, a zine distro that specializes in light hearted and fun zines. I’m pretty stoked to ship off a few copies and expand journaling goodness to more people!
The full color laser printer has been both a joy and a heart ache. It needed a new drum. Sadly the printer has been discontinued as has the drum. There are repair parts available and at some point I’ll be looking into them. It is possible to rebuild the drum with a few purchases on eBay. I was lucky and found a remanufactured drum for decent money on Amazon.
I picked up bright white smooooooth Neenah heavy weight cardstock for the covers. I tested on another cardstock and the print was perfect. Sadly the Neenah is thicker and heavier than the stuff I tested and the printer fought me on it EVERY STEP. As a result I have a few test prints with errors and glitches. Smears of ink and other ick. Anyway. I found some heavyweight glossy photo paper for the first run of covers. I only had enough to print 90 covers. I’d hoped for a first run of 100. Of the 90 good covers, probably only 75 will look good. I also tested printing on some photo paper made for inkjets. I was really lucky that the crud stayed ON the paper and didn’t glue itself to my drum or rollers.
Then I ran out of yellow toner, right after I’d printed 20 copies of the inside cover. Yay.
I have 16 messy covers which I’ll use to mess around with more printing and end up with something neat.
The insides are printing up easily and look great.